St. Louis is a beautiful, centrally located city, with a rich history. With abundant green spaces such as neighboring Forest Park – one of the largest urban parks in the country – the city is great for nature-lovers. Yet it is also an urban paradise full of great food, stimulating cultural and sporting events and eclectic neighborhoods.
See Opportunities for joining our community.
- Forest Park in St. Louis is the 2022 Best City Park in USA Today’s Readers’ Choice–and it’s right next door to our campus.
- #1 Best City for new grads to start a career in 2022, according to Insurify
- In 2021, Time Magazine ranked St. Louis among the world’s greatest places.
- Forbes listed St. Louis among the 25 Best Places to Visit in 2020.
- Washington University is ranked the top employer in Missouri according to the 2021 list of America’s Best Employers By State, compiled by Forbes.
As American cities go, it’s as vibrant, diverse and hip as it getsForbes, US Travel: 25 Best Places to Visit in 2020
Family-friendly & affordable
While St. Louis has plenty to offer those of all ages, it is a particularly great place to raise a family.
Hear from Assistant Professor of Neuroscience, Thomas Papouin, PhD on his experience moving here from Boston:
“St. Louis is incredibly kid-friendly. As a dad of two toddlers, I cannot stress enough the importance that this has had for us in the time we have spent here, both personally and professionally – including through the pandemic. There are playgrounds and parks everywhere in our area and they are incredibly well maintained. The museums are free. The zoo is free. The botanical gardens are free.
Another game changer for us has been the affordability of the St Louis area. Coming from a 1-bedroom basement apartment that we rented in Boston, and now watching our kids chase our chickens in our quarter-acre backyard, surely makes a difference in your quality of life. Our monthly mortgage is less than we used to pay for rent!”
–Thomas Papouin, PhD, Assistant Professor of Neuroscience