The Han Lab is seeking a postdoctoral researcher to work on learning and memory in the hippocampus. We investigate the cellular and neuronal circuit activity underlying spatial and cognitive learning in mice. Major approaches in the lab include in vivo two-photon imaging and electrophysiology during virtual reality and real world behavior, pharmacology, chemo/optogenetics, and computational modeling.
In addition to high-quality research facilities, career and professional development training for postdoctoral researchers is provided through the Career Center, Teaching Center, Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, and campus groups. Additional information on being a postdoc at Washington University in St. Louis can be found at postdoc.wustl.edu/prospective-postdocs.
We are looking for creative and enthusiastic postdoctoral researchers with a PhD in neuroscience or related field. Scientists interested in moving into systems neuroscience from other backgrounds are welcome here. Our supportive and collaborative lab environment is geared towards giving scientists the skills and mindset to move on to the next level, whatever they may choose.
Primary duties & responsibilities
Trains under the supervision of a faculty mentor, including (but not limited to):
- Manages their own project, which should lead to first author publications.
- Develops expertise in vivo two-photon imaging, virtual reality behavior, data analysis.
- Develops proficiency in career skills, including writing, public speaking, networking, and critical evaluation of scientific literature.
- Presents scientific work both inside and outside the University with excellent oral communication skills.
- Assists with grant preparation and reporting.
- Prepares and submits papers on research with excellent writing skills.
- Designs research experiments. Evaluates research findings and reports results.
- Maintains conscientious discharge of their research responsibilities.
- Maintains conformity with ethical standards in research.
- Maintains compliance with good laboratory practice, including the maintenance of adequate research records.
- Engages in open and timely discussion with their mentor regarding possession or distribution of material, reagents, or records belonging to their laboratory and any proposed disclosure of findings or techniques privately or in publications.
- Maintains collegial conduct towards co-trainees, staff members and members of the research group.
- Adheres to all applicable University policies, procedures and regulations. All data, research records and materials and other intellectual property generated in University laboratories remain the property of the University.
PhD, MD or equivalent terminal or doctoral degree.
Prior experience in imaging, electrophysiology, mouse behavior, or modeling.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and curriculum vitae with contact information for three references to Dr. Edward Han at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological and chemical hazards. The individual must be physically able to wear protective equipment and to provide standard care to research animals.
Base pay is commensurate with experience.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. The screenings will include criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, an employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
Washington University in St. Louis is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to our employees. Benefits eligibility is subject to employment status, full-time equivalent (FTE) workload, and weekly standard hours. Please visit our website at https://hr.wustl.edu/benefits/ to view a summary of benefits.
Washington University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability status, protected veteran status, national or ethnic origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation. Women, minorities, protected veterans and the disabled are strongly encouraged to apply.
Washington University is dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment – fostering respect for all and welcoming individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. Individuals with a commitment to these values are encouraged to apply.